November is quickly approaching, which is peak time for animal collisions on the road. Animal collisions involving deer and a vehicle alone cause 200 fatalities per year and result in billions of dollars worth of damages.
In many states, animal crossing accidents can involve larger wildlife including grizzly bears, bighorn sheep and endangered species such as red wolves. These larger wildlife accidents can often turn deadly. Smaller animals can cause accidents as well, and surprise or scare a driver by appearing on the road seemingly out of nowhere.
It is important that you are aware of your surroundings and take the necessary precautions when driving in rural wooded areas with abundant wildlife. Keep in mind that most roads have signs that notify drivers of potential animal crossings.
Animal crossings are one of the top 25 causes of car crashes. If you or a loved one has been the victim of an accident caused by a driver who hit an animal on the road, consider filing a claim to seek compensation. Continue reading this blog for more information on animal crossing accidents and filing a claim.
Tips to Prevent Animal Crossing Accidents
Here are some tips that may help prevent an accident caused by an animal crossing the road:
- Be aware that animals are most active around dawn (4 a.m. to 6 a.m.) and dusk (6 p.m. to 11 p.m.). Be extra cautious around these times.
- Do your research. Look up the types of wildlife active in your neighborhood or travel destination. Also, be aware of which roads they appear to avoid surprises.
- Avoid speeding, especially at night and if the road is unfamiliar. Deer are quick and won’t give you enough time to react and stop safely.
- If you come across an animal on the road, honk a few times to scare it off the road. Honking also warns other motorists.
- Do not swerve to avoid hitting the animal. This can lead to an accident with another vehicle. Instead, slow down and try to maintain control of the wheel.
- In the event that you do hit an animal, pull over and report the accident to local law enforcement. Do not leave the scene, as this can be a crime.
Uplift Legal Funding
By being knowledgeable of your surroundings and taking the necessary precautions, you can avoid a serious accident. However, other drivers may not engage in safe practices and can cause an accident. In the event that you or a loved one falls victim to an accident as a result of someone else’s negligence, file a claim. You could be entitled to compensation that will help cover your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc. Uplift offers car accident loans to plaintiffs nationwide. Learn more by giving us a call at (800) 385-3660 or apply online.